Subject: pthread support in gcc3
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bart Locanthi <bart@sabl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2003 09:24:50
Hi all,

I've been playing with GCJ, and it's very promising, but I am stuck on
the pthreads issue. No idea if this is easy/hard or already
known/already dismissed, but at present I have no clue how to start.

The code in gcc-3.2.1/libjava builds different stuff based on the
existence of pthreads.

There appear to be at least three posix pthreads implementations - pth,
mit-pthreads, and unproven-pthreads - available, and I installed
mit-pthreads with no apparent difficulties.

However, I don't know how to tell the gcc3 pkgsrc install of the
existence of a pthreads library. I see mention of "enable_pthread" in
config.in, but have no idea how to get to that from the "make install"
top-level thing.

Also, given that "make install" for any of these things puts them in
/usr/pkg, is this insufficient in the case of the pthreads packages?

Any help appreciated.

-Bart