Subject: Re: Cannot adjust sound volume on IBM Thinkpad R32
To: Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2003 10:59:17
Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de> writes:
> > The volume buttons are controlled by the SM BIOS, not the
> > operating system. If you can't alter the volume it probably
> > isn't a NetBSD problem per se. Try a BIOS update perhaps?
>
> The volume buttons provided by the Thinkpad aren't working at
> all. Though I can turn off the sound completely with the
> respective button, I'm not able to adjust the sound volume
> with the other two buttons.

That's very strange. All three are controlled by the SM BIOS on a
machine that is not running ACPI, so if one works, the others should
too. (On an ACPI box, I think the buttons generate ACPI events that
the OS has to handle.)

> But by using an mulitmedia application like xmms or mplayer or
> the mixer control software aumix I can increase the volume
> to any level via the software but never decrease the volume
> by the functionality provided by the respective application.

I suspect some sort of a weird interaction between the SM BIOS's way
of manipulating the sound device and the sound driver. What happens if
you use mixerctl, audioct, audioplay, etc?

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com