Subject: Re: Cannot adjust sound volume on IBM Thinkpad R32
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2003 16:44:34
* Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> [2003-01-21 16:29]:

> Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de> writes:
>
> > I've recently installed NetBSD 1.6 i386 on a IBM Thinkpad
> > R32. Although I'm able to increase the sound volume, I'm not
> > able to degrease the master sound volume regardless of the
> > application in use.
> >
> > Does anyone else has made similar experiences on a IBM
> > Thinkpad R32 or has any suggestion to fix this?
>
> The volume buttons are controlled by the SM BIOS, not the
> operating system. If you can't alter the volume it probably
> isn't a NetBSD problem per se. Try a BIOS update perhaps?

The volume buttons provided by the Thinkpad aren't working at
all. Though I can turn off the sound completely with the
respective button, I'm not able to adjust the sound volume
with the other two buttons.
But by using an mulitmedia application like xmms or mplayer or
the mixer control software aumix I can increase the volume
to any level via the software but never decrease the volume
by the functionality provided by the respective application.

  -Timo