Subject: Re: moused fails to start on a IBM Thinkpad R32
To: Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/2003 18:38:48
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:27:34 +0100
Timo Schmidt <list-netbsd@xomit.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed NetBSD 1.6 i386 on a IBM Thinkpad
> R32.
> Although the mouse works fine under X, the moused fails to
> start.

moused is for serial mice. based on your dmesg output below, you have a
pms(4) mouse, so you don't need to run moused. look at the pms man page.
You'll see that a wsmouse device is attached to the pms device at autoconfig
time, therefore no moused is needed.

> | # unname -a
> | NetBSD mobile 1.6 NetBSD 1.6 (MOBILE) #8: Tue Jan 21 00:31:49 CET 2003
> | timo@mobile:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/MOBILE i386
>
> | # grep wsmouse /etc/X11/XF86Config
> |       Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
> |       Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse0"

try changing wsmouse0 to wsmouse above. You want to use the mouse
multiplexer device, e.g. if you attach a  usb mouse, it will be
wsmouse1 and both sets of mouse signals get multiplexed through
/dev/wsmouse.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing