Subject: Re: error on make for perl -- 2nd post
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2003 19:21:52
After five re-installs of NetBSD 1.6 and attempts
to build perl58 I tried to build perl5 and that
compiled for 30 hours and seemed stuck in a very
long endless loop.

Now I gave up on perl and tried to install icewm.
And it seems again stuck in an endless loop, but
a shorter one. I get...

<snip>
gmake[1] Entering directory `/usr/pkgsrc/wm/icewm/work/icewm-1.2.0/src'
Analysing dependencies for icehelp.cc...

[one minute of "Analysing dependencies for foobar.cc..." then ]

Analysing dependencies for genpref.cc...
gmake[1] Leaving directory `/usr/pkgsrc/wm/icewm/work/icewm-1.2.0/src'
</snip>

...over and over and over and (you get the idea.

I noted that since it was a new install for NetBSD on a
re-virginized machine I had had to do make install on
/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install.

I found that on this machine the Makefile for that directory
is Makefile v 1.69 whereas my other laptop hasMakefile v 1.56.
So on a hunch I tar'd the directory pkg_install and ftp'd it
over to the laptop with problems and untar'd it there.

Then I rebuilt pkg_install and tried to re-install perl58.
That was no help at all. Make for perl58 hung up in exactly
the same way as before. Which made me to wonder if I could
in fact build anything...

So I picked a really tiny package, pty-redir and did make
install for that. It went fine. No problems at all.

Which leaves me out of ideas.

Gan

--

  Mistera Sturno - Rarest Extinct Bird