Subject: Re: Delete and Backspace don't always work
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2003 16:46:28
> I am using SecureCRT to access my NetBSD machine.  Normally
> backspace and delete works fine, until I use command line programs
> like nslookup, rcs, etc.  With those programs my only options is a
> Ctrl-u.
>
> How do I fix this so that delete and backspace ALWAYS work?

check what 'stty -a' says the 'erase' character is, and what
your keyboard generates when you hit the erase key [1].
These need to match...

The erase character is a matter of personal preference  (usually
affected by what the keyboard you usually sit at generates when you
hit the big fat erase key), so is often set in your own .profile.

typically stty erase '^h' (backspace) or stty erase '^?' (del)
is needed (type the 4 chars '^h').

The shell is probably treating ^h ^? and the stty erase key
as some form of delete character.

	David

[1] run 'hexdump -C' then your backstace key then ^d (or eof)
to find what the keyboard returns.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk