Subject: imapd sends not just mail but all my files to the OS X mail client
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@zachfine.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2003 13:41:17
Greetings. I've been running imapd installed from pkgsrc for a long
time (IMAP4rev1 v12.250), and have recently tried to access my email
using the built-in mail client that comes with Mac OS X. The strange
thing is, not only is imapd serving all of my mail to the mail client,
but it is also serving much if not all of the contents of my user
directory. This seems more than a bit odd to me, I don't need to read
my .emacs file as a mail message.

For what it's worth, in the mail client's GUI, my mail is stored
within an inbox icon, and my files are stored within an oversized @
symbol, so it must be differentiating somehow between a normal mail
inbox and these other files, although it does seem to regard these
additional files as mail messages. Retrieving my mail takes forever as
the mail client insists on downloading all of these files that are not
mail.

I first thought perhaps this was a problem with some setting in the OS
X mail client, but I can't find a setting that should cause this
behavior.

But even if there's some weird bug in the Mac OS X mail client that
causes it to mirror a person's directory on another machine as well as
download their mail, why should imapd be sending this data? Why should
imapd have access to this data?

The man page for imapd isn't any help.  Has anyone out there
experienced any problem similar to this?

Thanks.

-Zach Fine
zach@zachfine.com