Subject: Constructing packages - coping with port differences
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2003 17:14:53
I tried upgrading the GTK+ libraries on my Sparc 5 to the latest in
pkgsrc, 2.2.0. Unfortunately this only seems to work if Xfree86 4.2.0 is
installed, and the Sparc port appears to still be on 3.3.6. The problem
seems to be that Xfree 4.2.0 ships with the Xrender library, and without
it the build of Xft2 and pango are borked.

So I've created my own package of the Xrender library. Not rocket
science, I just copied the Xft2 directory and carefully edited the
Makefile, PLIST, etc. I then modified the Xft2 dependencies to include
Xrender, and now pango seems to be building OK (it's going to take some
time on my elderly Sparc).

Now I'm wondering how to only install the Xrender package on those
architectures that need it. I've read the Packages.txt, but unless I've
missed the correct section I haven't found anything relevant. Can anyone
offer some insights into this?

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)