Subject: Re: corrupted pkg database
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2003 10:38:10
hi,

>>i had to manually remove x11-links-0.8. why cannot the make do this
>>automatically?
>

> This was probably a result of the botched pkg_admin rebuild or
> something.  Usually, things should work automatically.

>>and now it seems to be ok. why doesn't make update remove the old version as
>>it SHOULD do (it's obviously the same problem as for the x11-links package)?
>>is there still something wrong?
>

> I suspect that the fluxbox package was removed by the old pkg_install
> tools, but these changes could not be recorded due to the bug with the
> pkgdb-file.  Now that you have all things back to normal, you should not
> see these problems.

i see this behaviour for EVERY package that needs to be updated - i
wanted to compile openoffice. it needs newer version of the pth package.
it compiled the new version, but

===> Installing for pth-1.4.1nb6
===>  pth-1.4.1nb2 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may wish to ``pkg_delete pth-1.4.1nb2'' and install
*** this package again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly,
*** or use ``make update'' to upgrade it and all of its dependencies.
*** If you really wish to overwrite the old package of pth-1.4.1nb2
*** without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
*** in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pth
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pth
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pth
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/devel/pth
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/misc/openoffice
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/misc/openoffice

i cannot manually remove this package since some other depend on it...
so i'd prefer update. when i run make update in devel/pth, everything
seems to run ok, even the update of all dependent packages...

am i doing something wrong or is this behaviour normal? i'd expect that:
1) i run make install of some package
2) it's dependent on new version of some package currently installed
3) the installation procedure automatically updates all required
packages and their dependencies

but it seems that
1) ok
2) installation stops till i manually make update required packages

what's the right solution?

regards,
lubos

--