Subject: Re: problems with cvs update...
To: None <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2003 12:13:40
On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:26:23 +0100
Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm trying to update the whole pkgsrc tree on i386, netbsd-1.6. i'm using
>
> % setenv CVSROOT anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> % setenv CVS_RSH ssh
> % cd /usr/pkgsrc
> % cvs update -dP
>
> but it isn't doing what it should do. according to netbsd.org webpage
> (software for netbsd), there should be for example fluxbox-0.1.14 and
> bsetroot-0.1nb.1 but the bsetroot directory is not present and fluxbox
> contains the old 0.1.8 stuff :o(
>
> the cvs itself reports
> cvs server: Updating bsetroot
> cvs server: Updating bsetroot/patches
> so it probably knows that there should be the bsetroot directory, but
> there are no changes present. i tried to do the update ~3 times with no
> results (it was updating SOME of the packages when running for the first
> time - but these two reported before weren't updated :o( )
>
> what i'm doing bad? thanks for any help or advice,

I suspect that your pkgsrc is from the netbsd-1-6 branch. e.g. from my current
checked-out pkgsrc

bash-2.05b# CVS_RSH=ssh cvs diff -c -r netbsd-1-6 Makefile | grep DISTNAME
! DISTNAME=     fluxbox-0.1.8
! DISTNAME=     fluxbox-0.1.14

As I understand the philosophy, the netbsd-1-6 branch of the pkgsrc module
should represent a stable set of software from the time of the 1.6 release,
plus a few carefully added updates to fix bugs, security holes, etc... but
much of the time if you want to use the latest software, you need the head of
the cvs stuff, not the netbsd-1-6 branch. So, if you want the current goodies,
you'll probably have to put up with the intermitent brokeness of using the
current branch. The "pkgchk" package will make rebuilding everything and
keeping it up to date a lot easier, should you choose that path. You may also
want to look at pkg_comp as well as other tools to aid in building sets of
packages in a sandbox away from your running software.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing