Subject: Re: corrupted pkg database
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2003 14:01:54
Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz> wrote:

> i had to manually remove x11-links-0.8. why cannot the make do this
> automatically?

This was probably a result of the botched pkg_admin rebuild or
something.  Usually, things should work automatically.

> as i can see, there was some problem with pkg_install? well, i had the
> version ~4 months old, so it probably couldn't manage new version. as it
> seems to me i should firstly update pkg_install if i get new pkgsrc through
> cvs, right?

No.  The problem was in pkg_install, that is true.  And you happened to
have updated pkgsrc when it determined that it needs a newwer
pkg_install, thus giving you the faulty one.  In general, pkgsrc knows
when it needs to update the pkgtools and it will automatically do so, so
there's no need for you to always rebuild/reinstall pkg_install each
time you update pkgsrc.

Sorry for the problems.

> and now it seems to be ok. why doesn't make update remove the old version as
> it SHOULD do (it's obviously the same problem as for the x11-links package)?
> is there still something wrong?

I suspect that the fluxbox package was removed by the old pkg_install
tools, but these changes could not be recorded due to the bug with the
pkgdb-file.  Now that you have all things back to normal, you should not
see these problems.

-Jan

--
I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.