Subject: Re: Disk Questions
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2003 01:26:30
On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:07:24PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On the question of whether or not softdeps should be still be
> considered experimental, I was engaged in a discussion in November in
> news:comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc under the subject "[NetBSD 1.6] current
> status of softdep". You might like to browse Google groups for that.
> To sum up, it's not experimental, most users do have it enabled, but
> it can't quite live up to it's guarantee of "never any file system
> corruption" unless you turn off the drive's write cache, which kills
> performance on ATA drives (yet the situation with write cache and
> softdeps isn't particularly worse than with write cache and no
> softdeps).

Does this mean the problems with the system crashing when too many
files are removed has been fixed?

Want fun? On a machine with 64 megs of ram running 1.5 remove part
of a news archive (with, say, 10,000 files or so). The rm -rf runs
for a while and then BLAMMO it reboots. On the way back up fsck
fills up lost+found and then complains a lot. It took my 233 MHz
Alpha around an hour to finish an fsck.

Has this been fixed? My personal opinion (FWIW) is that a softdep
that has this bug is an experimental softdep.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994