Subject: Disk Questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2003 13:20:34
I following the instructions for adding a new disk to NetBSD
as described on the NetBSD website [1] and it worked like a
charm.

I was surprised that I did not have to run fdisk and create a
NetBSD parition for this to work. I was under the impression
that NetBSD slices had to live within the bounderies of a
defined NetBSD parition.

This all implies to me that fdisk partitions are really only
required on the boot drive because of boot limitations with the
x86 and on non-boot drives, they are not required at all.

Would this be correct?

Additionally, should it be okay to enable Softdeps? According
to the NetBSD website, Softdeps is "still considered experi-
mental, and due to the copyright on it, it needs to be enabled
separately".

[1] http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#adding-a-disk

Thanks,

Jeff Flowers