Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2003 16:14:54
On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 14:39:56 -0800
"Beaker \(aka Jeff W\)" <beaker@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> >>How does FVWM2 compare as far as size?  Is it one of the
> >>larger WMS or smaller ones?
> >
> > it's quite small and fast(relatively, i checked it now, libs + share stuff
> > + binary ~ 5mb).
>
> Speaking of size, is there an easy way to determine - prior to an
> install attempt - what a package application's space requirements are?
>
> Beaker

AFAIK, not really.

if by size you mean disk, disk size can be obtained from the binary package
with pkg_info -s | -S. Given the ease with which one can install and
deinstall using the very fine package system, downloading a binary package is
about 90% of the work anyway, so not much time or effort saved there.

if you want to know memory, you can get a some idea of the memory size to be
used by the app by using the"size" command on the _installed_ binary, but that
only tells part of the story. twm is somewhat small when started, but leaks
memory over time. I'm lazy, so I usually just use top or ps.

<editorial_comment>
Window managers are like religons. People sample the available ones until they
find one that offers the right balance of pleasure and pain. Some ultimately
choose to opt out completely. It's very subjective. In almost no time, one
could sample every one in pkgsrc/wm. One good thing though, unlike religon,
there's little potential for guilt in the selection of a window manager. :-)
</editorial_comment>

-- Harry Waddell Caravan Electronic Publishing