Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2003 13:00:28
Stefan Schumacher said:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, joerch wrote:
>
> No, they want a SuSE so they can be proud to be a 31337 Un1x User,
> but they still have a stolen Win XP on their drive to play Warez.
>
> KDE and Gnome try to spread MS Windows philosophy on Unix - that's weird.

What's your main problem with them ? Ease-of-use ? I know for a fact
that if I put a neophyte in front of:
a) *nix + twm
b) windows (whatever)
c) *nix + kde
d) *nix + gnome
e) NextStep (haven't tried MacOS X yet ...)

a) is not going to cut it.

I like having a reasonable desktop that doesn't need two days of
fine tuning for every single new installation, is simple enough for
other people to use yet allows me to whip up xterm when I need it.
Choice e) was always closest to my idea of that particular pipe dream.
Unfortunately NS3.3 is showing its age so I went with xfce for a while..

Choice is good, usability is better.
--
jht