Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: None <yid@softhome.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2003 11:59:08
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:43:13PM -0500, Jeff Flowers wrote:
> You're right, it is a hog, as is Gnome. Why everyone wants to turn
> Unix into Windows is beyond me.

That's the bad thing about Linux fans, most have their heart set on
replacing Windows and don't have a clue about what makes Unix better.

> > Plain X without *any* wm is impossible.
>
> I don't use a wm at all. I set up everything with via my .xresource
> and .xinitrc.

Interesting. Have you tried ratpoison? It is a window manager (if you want
to call it that :-) ) designed to be like the "screen" utility for text
mode. It needs no libraries and supplies no window borders or most typical
functions of wms. It's a bit too bare bones for me (though I do like
screen) but I think you'd like it.