Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: None <beaker@myrealbox.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2003 22:14:54
> > http://www.jeffreyf.net/screenshot-01.jpg (1024x768)
> > http://www.jeffreyf.net/screenshot-02.jpg (1280x1024)
>
> So you just do CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to exit? Can you start a new X app
> with this setup? Do you have mouse?

First, you have to realize that I like the console. It's where the
real power and beauty of Unix is shown, in my opinion. I run X to
escape the height/width confines of the console and to more easily
browse the web. Cool wallpapers and sudo-transparent ATerms is just a
side benefit. :)

The mouse works fine. A window manager is not required for the mouse
to work. But be aware that when you run X without a window manager,
you have sloppy focus in effect at all times.

You can launch X apps at any time but you might not have control of
where it goes, depending on the application's support for the
-geometry switch. For example, Links-GUI doesn't support -geometry
but XBiff does.

Of course, you can't move windows, as this is a wm feature. But like
I said, I have everything set up through .xinitrc and .Xresources and,
I always have twm at my disposal should I need it.

(And there might be other weird problems. For example,  Mozilla and
Phoenix will run without a wm but they can't accept keyboard input
without one. Why, I do not know.)

As for exiting X, I have my XTerm set as the last executable in my
.xinitrc, using the 'exec' command. When I exit out of that XTerm, X
shuts down.

Jeff Flowers
jeffrey@jeffreyf,net

Yeah, NetBSD will run on that.