Subject: RE: ipfilter logging without ipmon
To: 'Dancho Penev' <dpenev@mail.bg>
From: Conrad T. Pino <Conrad@Pino.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/2003 13:47:57
Hi Dancho,

Thank you for responding.  Your efforts are appreciated.

Yes, I added a similar line at the END of the file.  I also modified this
line near the top:

*.info;auth,authpriv,cron,ftp,kern,local0,lpr,mail.none /var/log/messages
                                   ^^^^^^^
which I understand means don't log local0 to the messages log.

Your reply suggests that I had an error in my setup.  I created a new
syslog.conf file with "local0..." line near the top just below the
"kern.debug /var/log/messages" line and everything seems to be working.

> >In the mean time, can anyone shed some light on what happens
> >if there is no "ipmon" process running to consume the output generated
> >by "ipfilter"?

I ran my system with ipfilter logging but without ipmon for a day.  It
seems the log buffer fills to about ~40 log entries and stops accepting
additional entries.

Thanks again,

Conrad