Subject: getting a root xterm
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/2003 16:27:18
folks,

I know there is a way, I just lost the road map:)  Almost
exclusively I access my UNIX (NetBSD and Solaris) machines via
SSH2 (VanDyke's SecureCRT).  SecureCRT has a X11 port
forwarding feature, which I use in conjunction with
Hummingbirds's X11 console.  Under the user account I log into
normally, I will launch xterms until I am blue in the face.
Of course these xterms are going though the ssh2 tunnel so
that everything stays secure.  It is also my understanding
that any other GUI applications launched continue to use the
same ssh2 tunnel, keeping them also secure.

My question: How can I launch a xterm which is running at root
and will allow root to launch other GUI applications?
Currently I become root with sudo:

sudo su - root -c tcsh

I guess I am trying to figure out how to combine both sudo,
su, and xterm to get things working in a nice secure fashion.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sam