Subject: Shot my foot off with chmod (the smoking gun)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2002 17:48:06
Dear NetBSD,

I managed to lock all users other than root out of my V1.6 system.
In the name of Internet security, I used chmod to keep etc, home, and oth=
er
directories and files from being seen from the web. I soon realized that =
could no longer log in as a regular user:

login: mike
passwd: *********
No home directory /home/cdt!

If I am logged in as root and try this:

# su mike
su: /bin/csh: Permission denied
#

I have even gone so far as to open up /bin and /etc directories and files
to allow anyone access and still to no avail.  What did I cripple?
I haven't deleted any files or directories that I know of either.  The
/home/cdt directory does exist and I allowed access to user mike, but,
still nada.

Any help is of course appreciated.
--Video Mike with egg on his face--