Subject: Re: newbie learning to use packages
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2002.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2002 09:45:57
Quoting Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com):

> > > Don't even think about moving them. Things will fail horribly at times
> > > if you do that.
> >
> > Some systems and packages seem to use /usr/local (for example, ISTR that
> > some man pages refer to it).
>
> Nothing in NetBSD uses /usr/local as built.

When I first used BSDi, it came with many tools that were not part
of the Unix OS per se, but were important: elm, gated, many many
others.  You don't want third party tools in /usr/bin/ (hello, most
linux distros).  You don't really want them in /usr/local/bin/
either.  BSDi used /usr/contrib/ for that stuff.  If updates are
available, they get put THERE.

Similiarly, I put my scripts and programs into /usr/local/.  I
*really* don't want the ports/packages mixed in.  When I update the
OS, I really like to update the packages to that version too.
Separation makes it easier to do.  /usr/local/bin/ is in my path
before /usr/pkg/bin/ so I can override the occasional program, but
the segregation makes maintanance easier.  And maintanance is by
far the greatest cost of running computer systems.