Subject: Re: mdoc and apropos
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/2002 12:23:31
>I just tried to find references to fragmentation among the man pages.
>
>$ man -k fragmentation
>fragmentation: nothing appropriate
>
>But of course indeed there is:
>
>From fsck_ffs(8):
>     After successfully correcting a file system, fsck_ffs will print the
>     number of files on that file system, the number of used and free
>blocks,
>     and the percentage of fragmentation.
>
>In fact a more brutal search reveals more:
>
>$ grep -l fragmentation  /usr/share/man/man8/*
>/usr/share/man/man8/dhcrelay.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/fsck_ffs.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/fsck_lfs.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/mfs.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/mount_mfs.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/newfs.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/tcpdump.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/traceroute.8
>/usr/share/man/man8/tunefs.8
>
>but nothing I found in /usr/share/misc/mdoc.template, "man man", or "man
>mdoc" tells me what a "keyword" is, such that "man -k" will find it.
>
>What am I missing, please?

% man apropos
DESCRIPTION
     apropos shows which manual pages contain instances of any of the given
     keyword(s) in their title line.  Each word is considered separately and

the key point there is "title line".  that refers (in a roundabout
manner) to the stuff in the NAME section of the man page.  nothing
more.

>It seems like a reasonable thing, to want to know, "What's the utility
>that reports the fragmentation of my filesystem?"  Wouldn't you say?

ah...that would be grep, though id-utils might be a better choice.  ;-)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."