Subject: RE: newbie learning to use packages
To: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 22:36:43
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
>
> > Hmmm.  How should I know if its dependencies are installed?  It didn't complain when I ran pkg_add.
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: bash: libtermcap.so.0.0: No such file or directory
> > /usr/libexec/ld.so: dt: libc.so.12.40: No such file or directory
>
> That's an obsolete a.out package. "pkg_add" lets you install those,
> but they don't work without additional support. The binary format is
> now ELF for all platforms (of all executables and shared libraries on
> the system, not just packages). If you're new to NetBSD, it would be
> best to simply run 1.6, and only install packages built for 1.6.

Before you ask, there don't seem to be any 1.6/m68k packages yet on
ftp.netbsd.org. It is possible to run those old packages by installing
the shared libraries from the corresponding NetBSD release under
"/emul/aout/usr", but they're still going to be old and buggy, so I'd
recommend building from pkgsrc yourself.

Frederick