Subject: RE: newbie learning to use packages
To: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 22:13:12
On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:

> Hmmm.  How should I know if its dependencies are installed?  It didn't complain when I ran pkg_add.
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: bash: libtermcap.so.0.0: No such file or directory
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: dt: libc.so.12.40: No such file or directory

That's an obsolete a.out package. "pkg_add" lets you install those,
but they don't work without additional support. The binary format is
now ELF for all platforms (of all executables and shared libraries on
the system, not just packages). If you're new to NetBSD, it would be
best to simply run 1.6, and only install packages built for 1.6.

Frederick