Subject: Re: newbie learning to use packages
To: Michael D. Spence <spence@panix.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 21:51:33
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:16:14PM -0500, Michael D. Spence wrote:
> Some systems and packages seem to use /usr/local (for example, ISTR that
> some man pages refer to it).  I've been leaving everything in /usr/pkg but
> I've often wondered how /usr/local fits in.  Could you comment on this?

I don't know of any packages which use /usr/local as their PREFIX or
LOCALBASE.  We have some that install into /usr (OK, we have one that
installs there, the pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install package, which is
essentially the NetBSD package tools in a convenient pkgsrc format).

If you do find one that installs entries in /usr/local, I'd be
grateful if you could please tell us (preferably by filing a problem
report, using send-pr), so that we can fix them.

Thanks,
Al