Subject: newbie learning to use packages
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Larson, Timothy E. <Larson.Timothy1@mayo.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 13:56:22
Hello all...

I am new to BSD and the package system, and have been doing a lot of reading lately.  It looks like the default installation directory is /usr/pkg.  So far so good.

Do most people leave the installed components here and update your path and manpath?  Do you use pkg_add's -p option to specify the location, and how would you know ahead of time to know what that location should be?  Do you move binaries to an appropriate (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin) binary directory, man pages to an appropriate man page directory, and so forth and skip changing your path and manpath?  I am not sure which way is best.  Some practical real-world advice please!

How/where do I get shared libraries required for new packages if they are not already on the system?

Thank you,
Tim

--
Tim Larson          <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
Info. Services - Internal Medicine Clinical Systems, Mayo Clinic, Rochester