Subject: AW: fault?
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 16:37:52
OK, you are right.

Sorry

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Lubomir Sedlacik [mailto:salo@Xtrmntr.org]
Gesendet: Montag, 28. Oktober 2002 16:28
An: Nicolas Saurbier
Cc: bsd-help (E-mail) (E-Mail)
Betreff: Re: fault?

hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:00:14PM +0100, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:
> OK, I understand your point of view, but it would be nice, if you also
> understand mine...

i understand your point.  it's always easier to ask.  but soon one will
find out that nobody is answering her questions..

> I was doing the right thing (modifieing REQUIRE and BEFORE) but I=B4m
> not a programmer, and the rcorder errormessage: "Circular dependency
> on provision..." isn=B4t something easy to understand, at least not =
for
> me.=20

well, so you was probably not doing the right thing after all.

by looking into /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote (as you probably did) you can
find that there is a comment:

        #       Mount critical filesystems that may be `remote'.
        #       (as specified in $critical_filesystems_remote)
        #       This usually includes /usr.

'remote' rings a bell.  is your filesystem remote?  does it need network
configured?  probably no, since you are doing this because you moved
your _network_ configuration files so network is not yet configured.

so you want something else, something which doesn't need network
configured.

by examining /etc/rc.d/ further you can find mountcritlocal script or
even reading rc(8) recommends you to look at rc.conf(5) (which you did
first to learn how rc subsystem works, right?) where you can find lines:

  critical_filesystems_local

           A string.  File systems mounted very early in the system
           boot before networking services are available.  Usually
           /var is part of this, because it is needed by services
           such as dhclient(8) which may be required to get the
           network operational.

which is everything you wanted to know.  wasn't it easy?  you don't need
to be programmer to read documentation.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  =
/"\ --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  =
\ / --
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   =
X  --
-- PGPkey: http://Xtrmntr.org/salo.pgp                                  =
/ \ --
-- Key Fingerprint: 75B2 2B96 CD75 0385 1C49  39B8 8B08 C30E 54BC 7263   =