Subject: Re: fault?
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/28/2002 15:50:22
--S1BNGpv0yoYahz37

hi,

i am sorry you feel offended.  let me clarify my statement a bit.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 02:37:21PM +0100, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:
> I don=B4t want to stress anybody...If you don=B4t want to answer, then let
> it be...  but if it=B4s as simple as adding one line to rc.conf, then
> why not write it in a mail like Frederick Bruckman (thanx) did???

because you didn't ask question which Frederick Bruckman answered to.
you asked what's wrong and i told you.

> And how should I know, if something is an "essential change" if I
> don=B4t know what I=B4m doing? If I knew exactly what I=B4m doing, I
> wouldn=B4t need your help...I thought, this mailing-list is for people,
> who have problems, and how should I learn NetBSD, if NetBSD-guys dare
> to answer???

"If I knew exactly what I=B4m doing, I wouldn=B4t need your help" that's
exactly my point.  basically you can help people in two ways,

1) answering their exact questions, which makes them happy but this is
   only short-term solution (*) because they will come back next time
   they face any new problem.

2) show them how they can help themselves so next time they don't need
   you, netbsd-help or anyone else and they can figure out what to do
   by reading documentation, thinking about the problem from different
   points of view, trying to get the whole situation in more complex
   way - making them _self-contained_

it's nice that people on netbsd-help offer even type 1) answers and
there are exceptions such as (*) problems you can't easily figure out
yourself (e.g.  bugs in documentation or code).  but users also should
realize that they need to try to help themselves in the first place to
save NetBSD-guys more free time which they can spend on making NetBSD
better system to use..

there is plenty of documentation you can read, most of them are
accessible from http://NetBSD.org/Documentation/, manual pages and even
source code which usually has lots of explanations in comments.  NetBSD
is one of the best documented systems available out there.  you can also
check articles at BSD Devcenter at ONLamp.com (many of them are written
with FreeBSD in mind but applies from 99% to NetBSD as well), e.g.:

 http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/10/04/FreeBSD_Basics.html
 http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/10/11/FreeBSD_Basics.html

or "A Tour Through the NetBSD Source Tree" written by Hubert Feyrer if
you want to know what's where in the sources:

 http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200203/netbsdsrctree1.html
 http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200204/netbsdsrctree2.html
 http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200205/netbsdsrctree3.html

the point is that nobody will make you self-contained, you have to.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --