Subject: MP3 problems on 1.6/i386
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/2002 13:06:04
Hello,

I have a 1.6 system (all built from recent CVS) on a 1.3Ghz PIII with the
following sound hardware:

ESS Technology Inc product 0x2838 (miscellaneous communications, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 16 function 0 not configured
auvia0 at pci0 dev 17 function 5: VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio (rev 0x40)
auvia0: interrupting at irq 9
auvia0: ALG16 codec; headphone, 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Realtek 3D
audio0 at auvia0: full duplex, mmap, independent
midi0 at pcppi0: PC speaker

It works fine for CD audio.  However, when I use xmms (built from -current
pkgsrc), the first ~ 1/5 second of any MP3 is repeated over and over.  That
1/5 second sounds normal (of course, for the 1/5 second it is playing).  I
tried mpg123 and mpg321, and both produce no sound and no errors.  In no
case are there any strange entries in the logs.  I'm not sure if I'm
supposed to see IRQ9 firing during (attempted) playback, but according to
"systat vmstat" I do not - it is not even listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-bp
--