Subject: dmesg buffer size.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/14/2002 04:58:00
Is there a way to increase the buffer size used by the kernel for messages
(later available via dmesg(1))?

After a normal boot to 1.6 with my laptop (i386), the *top* of the dmesg
buffer is:

 /~~~

400
                INTC: link 0x00 bitmap 0xdef8
                INTD: link 0x00 bitmap 0xdef8

 \___

There are about 100 lines in my buffer before mainbus0: is reached.  The
first lines of the boot are *gone*forever* before /var/run/dmesg.boot gets
written.

Now that I've found out the line to disable/tweak in the ne PCMCIA
ethernet driver so that the driver works with my card, I might try turning
down some of the message verbosity; that may let the messages fit within
the buffer.  But, IMHO, if there's a "normal" way to generate so much data
that the buffer fills up that way, then I should definitely have a larger
buffer for my laptop's dmesg buffer.  (^&

(Perhaps, since 1.5.x didn't seem to ever generate so much spam, it would
be a good idea to increase the default dmesg buffer size?  At least for
port i386?)