Subject: Re: passwd & master.passwd from backup
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/11/2002 15:10:34
Brian A. Seklecki writes:

> On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 13:52, David S. wrote:
>> >
>> > 10. My /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd are same as on old
>> >   box. Is there something else I need to copy in for the users
>> >   to be same on new box?
>>

> *rolls eyes*
>
>> 	man pwd_mkdb
>
> ...which lacks an EXAMPLES section on how to use it.  yay.
>
> anyway, you need:
>
> /etc/pwd.db
> /etc/spwd.db
> /etc/passwd
> /etc/master.passwd
>
> from the old system.  ...assuming you're using the same pwdb format as
> the old system.  remember there's an /etc/passwd.conf in 1.6+
>
> 	localcipher = md5
> 	localcipher = old 		# (DES)
>
> -lava
>

>> David S.

Thank you kindly for a directly substantive answer.

I got my how-to written for migrating an entire NetBSD OS to a new box
(which my question related to) but alas it is for 1.5.3. I am not yet ready
to jump to 1.6. Must do at home and get familiar lest I make embarassing
blunders at work at work.

For what it is worth, I put the how-to at:

http://starling.us/gus_netbsd/gus_netbsd_cpio_backup.html

...might still be of use to someone.

Cheers,

 --