Subject: Re: SiS900: No Tx/Rx of packets on NetBSD 1.6
To: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/10/2002 03:12:22
On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 16:07, Keith Mastin wrote:
> >Sorry, should have given more detail:
> >
> >If for example I use dhclient, tcpdump shows the broadcast packet from
> >the client.  However, I get an "send_packet: network is down" message.
>
> Did you set up the routing table for the default gateway?

even then he would still be seeing some traffic in tcpdump(8) stdout

if it was a switch he'd see managment traffic on the vlan

if it was a hub he'd see everything on the segment

when he sees nothing, you've got a layer 2 OSI / physical problem

it's all about the OSI process of elimination

-lava (soon to be CCNP i hope )