Subject: Re: 1.5.3 -> 1.6: review upgrade process
To: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2002 19:15:42
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Bryan P wrote:

>    % ./build.sh -d -D /to/my/dest -R /to/my/release -U

Hmmm. The BUILDING doc appears to say that "-d" doesn't do the "-R".
 ... Note this does not build a ``release'' ...

> ERROR: src/share/mk is missing; please re-fetch the source tree

> I just fetched the source tree using "cvs co -r netbsd-1-6 -d src basesrc"

You also need sharesrc in addition to "basesrc". You also need gnusrc and
syssrc (for kernel). (I had those same errors before, but I used the
source tar balls.)

> This part I know about, but should I run MAKEDEV in a new empty dir, such
> as /dev_new, then swap it with /dev?  I'm wondering about relic nodes.

I have always ran it in the same /dev directory. It does delete old device
files before it recreates them.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/