Subject: Re: 1.5.3 -> 1.6: review upgrade process
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2002 19:03:05
On the accomplished day of Oct 9, Jeremy C. Reed said:

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Bryan P wrote:
>
> > 3.) cd into src dir and "make build" - is this right?  Obviously I need
> > to be root here.
>
> Use "build.sh" script. Read about it in BUILDING document. It can be done
> as non-root (that new pax feature is cool!). After you build sets, you
> can extract them over your current files (be sure to preserve
> permissions).

Okay, I read the docs and it looks like I want:

   % ./build.sh -d -D /to/my/dest -R /to/my/release -U

However, I get:

ERROR: src/share/mk is missing; please re-fetch the source tree
*** BUILD ABORTED ***

I just fetched the source tree using "cvs co -r netbsd-1-6 -d src basesrc"
while in /usr/src/1.6.  What's the deal?

> > 7.) How to rebuild /dev
>
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV all # with new MAKEDEV

This part I know about, but should I run MAKEDEV in a new empty dir, such
as /dev_new, then swap it with /dev?  I'm wondering about relic nodes.

Thanks a ton for your help.

--
-Bryan