Subject: Re: 1.5.3 -> 1.6: review upgrade process
To: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2002 14:06:16
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Bryan P wrote:

> 3.) cd into src dir and "make build" - is this right?  Obviously I need to
> be root here.

Use "build.sh" script. Read about it in BUILDING document. It can be done
as non-root (that new pax feature is cool!). After you build sets, you can
extract them over your current files (be sure to preserve permissions).

> 4.) /etc - how to install new stuff w/out blowing away old?  Preferably I
> can have a new /etc populated somewhere else, then use "diff -ruN" and
> update deltas by hand (I'm most comfortable seeing and reviewing all
> changes).

There is a 1.6 tool for this. man etcupdate. Also available via package
collection.

Also, I wrote my own tool around same time etcupdate was written. Mine was
named update_etc (before I heard about other or maybe mine was first).
Someday I'll improve it some more and package it too. Let me know if you
want to try it .. I see on my webserver I have old version.

And G. Woods and J. McNeill made some similar tools that they have posted
about.

I would backup /etc first too.

> 6.) How to remove unneeded files in /bin, /sbin, etc?  Check with find
> which are older than newly installed and remove?

That should work. But you may have some binaries that are used
that aren't in the sets.

> 7.) How to rebuild /dev

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV all # with new MAKEDEV

> 8.) What about packages I already have installed?  Anything special for
> this?

Most packages would still work. You could build list of packages
(pkg_info) and then reinstall them.

Have Fun!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/