Subject: 1.5.3 -> 1.6: review upgrade process
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan P <u1@terran.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2002 13:48:59
Hello,

I'm thinking about moving up to 1.6 (from 1.5.3) on my Alpha server
tonight.  I have a synced CVS tree for both src and the kernel.  Would
someone be kind enough to sanity check this for me?

1.) Build new 1.6 kernel (needed to use new config from sys/usr.sbin/config).
2.) Install new kernel and boot into it.
3.) cd into src dir and "make build" - is this right?  Obviously I need to
be root here.

here is where I'm most uncertain:

4.) /etc - how to install new stuff w/out blowing away old?  Preferably I
can have a new /etc populated somewhere else, then use "diff -ruN" and
update deltas by hand (I'm most comfortable seeing and reviewing all
changes).
5.) Do I need to update the booloader myself?  I think I know how to do
this.
6.) How to remove unneeded files in /bin, /sbin, etc?  Check with find
which are older than newly installed and remove?
7.) How to rebuild /dev
8.) What about packages I already have installed?  Anything special for
this?

Thanks so much.

--
-Bryan