Subject: RE: newbie can't "./configure"
To: Scott Flodin <scott@scottflodin.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/01/2002 09:38:21
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Scott Flodin wrote:

> Piers, I am using pkgsrc. After I installed the packages, I began
> following instructions from php.net (see below) which said to use the
> ./configure command to get Apache to recognize PHP. I've since
> learned ./configure is for those not using pkgsrc.

That is part of the problem. If you use the NetBSD packages, then you do
not use the php.net instructions of pre-build configurations, building and
installing -- because that is what the package collection is for :)

(I have more comments below. It is a common to reply by clipping out
unrelated, un-needed text and to reply after the corresponding comments --
so it is easy and quick to read and follow.)

> >>1.  gunzip apache_xxx.tar.gz
> >>2.  tar -xvf apache_xxx.tar
> >>3.  gunzip php-xxx.tar.gz
> >>4.  tar -xvf php-xxx.tar
> >>5.  cd apache_xxx
> >>6.  ./configure --prefix=/www --enable-module=so

If you had use the real Apache HTTPD source tarball and not a NetBSD
package, this would have worked fine. There is a "configure" script
included with the apache source.

If it is a NetBSD package, then do not extract it (with gunzip or tar),
just run "pkg_add the-package-name".

If using the NetBSD pkgsrc collection, then go into the ap-php3 (or 4)
directory and do "make install".

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. I have taught a couple Apache httpd installation and beginning
web server administration classes in the Seattle, Washington, USA area.