Subject: Re: 1.6 upgrade issue: what replaces irs?
To: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2002 09:02:32
>>>>> Russell McManus writes:

Russell> # extra magic to make ir port sync'ing work /usr/pkg/bin/irs
Russell> -c -Y -y /dev/ptyqf -d /dev/tty00

Russell> I've got the above magic in /etc/rc.local to allow my Palm to
Russell> sync with JPilot on i386 1.5.x NetBSD.  Works fine.

Russell> I remember reading that a better solution is available on
Russell> 1.6.  Can anyone point me at the manpage that describes the
Russell> new way of handling this?

The 1.6 solution is not very different. The programs in the
comms/birda package have been changed to use the kernel device
(irframe*) as the default. If you don't have such a device (check your
dmesg), and instead have a BIOS emulated IrDA serial port, you can use
irdaattach(1) to create an irframe device (see the example in the
manual page). After that you can use irs and the other programs pretty
much as you did before, except that you should use -d /dev/irframe0
instead.

Kind regards,

        -- Urban