Subject: Re: updateing userland
To: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/24/2002 10:05:52
Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org> writes:
> > A very strong suggestion: do NOT build into /. Use build.sh with the
> > unprivileged option, build into a DESTDIR, install the resulting
> > binaries after the fact.
>
> Thanks Perry.  I've apparenlty hosed something up pretty bad.  In my
> investigations I have realized that I mistakenly pulled in -current
> with my sup update.

Well, that's fine if you want to run -current, but in either case you
have to try to get a consistent state together.

> My kernel is 1.6H, which did build successfully with my 1.5.3
> tools/userland.  However, per the advisories, I wanted to pull my
> entire system up to the 1.6 release.
>
> Could someone recommend the best way to proceed from here?  Should I
> "wipe" out -- like rm -r, most of what lies under /usr/src ?  Then
> untar the 1.6 source sets?

Either way -- pick what you want to run, -current or 1.6, get a
/usr/src that completely matches that, build to a DESTDIR/RELDIR, boot
one of the resulting GENERIC kernels, unpack the userland stuff, and
use postinstall/etcupdate to clean up your configuration.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com