Subject: Re: XML, XSLT, and NetBSD
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/24/2002 14:19:27
Jeff Flowers wrote:
> Is anyone was using XML on NetBSD? Specifically, I am trying to learn
> how to use XSLT to transform XML documents to various formats.
>
> Can anyone recommend an XSLT processor for NetBSD? Many seem to
> require Java and I would prefer not to have to deal with Java.

I'm using libxml2 aand haven't got any complaints. I think it was
originally written as part of the GNOME desktop environment, but
the author has been careful not to make it depend on any of the
GNOME libraries. I use it at work to parse configuration files and
oddball data messages wrapped in XML.

There's also an accompanying libxslt library, which I  haven't
used, but a colleague regards it quite highly. Libxml compiles
on NetBSD, and may even be in the packages collection. If not,
it is available from:

   ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/sources/libxml/
   ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/sources/libxslt/

Oh yes, and it's C, so no Java to worry about. If scripting
languages are more your bag, then I think there's a Perl module
as well.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)