Subject: Re: updateing userland
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2002 22:09:02
On 21 Sep 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org> writes:
> > I used sup to bring my sources up to date.  I've built a 1.6 kernel, and now
> > want up update my userland.
> >
> > I cd to /usr and run build.sh -t, but it bombs after quite some
> > time.
>
> A very strong suggestion: do NOT build into /. Use build.sh with the
> unprivileged option, build into a DESTDIR, install the resulting
> binaries after the fact.

Thanks Perry.  I've apparenlty hosed something up pretty bad.  In my investigations I have realized that I mistakenly pulled in -current with my sup update.

My kernel is 1.6H, which did build successfully with my 1.5.3 tools/userland.  However, per the advisories, I wanted to pull my entire system up to the 1.6 release.

Could someone recommend the best way to proceed from here?  Should I "wipe" out -- like rm -r, most of what lies under /usr/src ?  Then untar the 1.6 source sets?

Or, is there a less brash way of handling my mistake?

Once again, here is the compile command where the attempt to build.sh fails:

cc -O -I/u01/src/tools/compat/obj.alpha -I/u01/src/tools/compat/obj.alpha/include  -I/u01/src/tools/makewhatis/../compat -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I/u01/src/tools/makewhatis/../../libexec/makewhatis/../../usr.bin -c -o makewhatis.lo.o /u01/src/tools/makewhatis/../../libexec/makewhatis/makewhatis.c
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u01/src/tools/makewhatis
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u01/src/tools/makewhatis
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /u01/src/tools

TIA