Subject: Zebra ospfd + tun0 anyone?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2002 15:19:04
Hello,

Is anyone successfully running the zebra ospfd over a tun(4) interface?
I am using vtund to build a simple VPN between two systems and I wanted to
use OSPF over the link, but ospfd can't seem to enable OSPF on tun0 or tun1.

The network statement is correct, there is no mask issues, etc.  It just
seems like the zebra ospfd won't run over a point-to-point interface.

I'm using NetBSD/i386 -current (1.6F) with the latest pkgsrc zebra. (0.93b)

It doesn't work with or without authentication.

ifconfig tun1:
tun1: flags=51<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.10.1 -> 192.168.10.2 netmask 0xffffff00

This is all it should take to enable OSPF on the interface:
router ospf
 network 192.168.10.0/24 area 0

The output of 'show ip ospf interface':
tun1 is up, line protocol is up
  OSPF not enabled on this interface

So as far as I can tell zebra doesn't work over tun(4), at least on NetBSD.
I'm hoping I am just missing something obvious like changing the interface
type, enabling multicast, or a patch. :-)

If anyone has zebra ospfd running over tun(4) let me know.

Thanks.

-Andrew