Subject: Re: how do I name cd drives?
To: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/2002 14:25:51
On 22 Sep 2002, Russell McManus wrote:

> I've got a scsi cd drive attached to my laptop, that I'd like to use.
> How does one name this drive?  For example, xcdplayer has a -device
> option, but I can't figure out what to pass to the application.
>
> xcdplayer works fine with the cd drive installed in the laptop.
> ktruss doesn't seem to help, there are no open() system calls in the
> /dev tree.
>
> I would have thought that /dev/cd1 or /dev/rcd1 or cd1 or rcd1 would
> have been the right thing, but no joy.

More than likely, "/dev/rcd1d" would work. That's the raw character
device, and supports the maximum number of cd ioctls. Also
"/dev/rcd1a", "/dev/cd1a" or "/dev/cd1d" might work, too.

By the way, "xcdplayer" is pretty lame. It doesn't have much over the
command line "cdplay" included with the base system. Both "xmcd" and
"gdcd" support looking up the name of the album and songs on the
internet when the CD is inserted, among other things. "xmcd" is my
personal favorite, for playing CD's. "xmms" can play CD's and MP3's,
both, but that may be overkill.

Frederick