Subject: Re: Build of 1.6 does not work
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Tld <tld@tld.digitalcurse.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/2002 19:08:59
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>>I have tried rebuilding 1.6 release for i386 from the soruces present on
>>the FTP.
>>I have cpuflags installed, and the parameters added to compilation are "-O2
>>-march=pentiumpro".
> Where are you putting that? If you set COPTS='-march=pentiumpro' or
> COPTS='-march=686', you don't need "-O2", as COPTS is only added to
> the default CFLAGS. On the other hand, if you are overriding CFLAGS,
> a lot of things won't work.

I was probably unclear in my mail.
It was cpuflags (pkgsrc's devel/cpuflags) that added the "-O2
-march=pentiumpro" to the compile line, as the result of being .sincluded
in /etc/mk.conf. I did (almost) nothing else except launching the command I
wrote before.

> It makes no sense, IMHO, to customize the floppies. You're likely to
> get some noticable improvmement by running a custom kernel with all
> but `options I686_CPU' commented out, as the multi-cpu switches add
> overhead to some system calls. While you're in there, you may as well
> add `makeoptions COPTS="-O2 -march=i686"' and `options DUMMY_NOPS'.
I did not customize the floppies. I launched the build but, since it bailed
out telling me the floppy image size was too big, I had to remove one of
the floppies (rescue-small) from the build. In other words, except the (2?
3?) Makefile-s modified to exclude rescue-small from build, no file is
different from the source tarballs provided on the FTP site.

> Building the whole system with "-march=686" isn't commonly done, as
> it's not expected to make much difference, so it may or may not work.
I think it should, after all the toolchain should be expected to work
correctly, unless I am misunderstanding something.

> In other words, it's "not supported". I expect it should work, though,
> as long as you're not overriding CFLAGS, and as long as you indeed
> have a 686. Just for grins, I built the whole base system (except for
> the floppies) and X with "-march=k6" (for my K6-2), and it works fine.
I have a PentiumII machine which works just fine. As for the CFLAGS, how
can I know if they got overwritten somehow?

Thank you.
	TLD