Subject: XF86 4.2.0 and Riva 128
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <christoph.leuzinger@westworks.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2002 17:56:28
Hello,

I recently installed NetBSD 1.6 on my i386 machine. I got the binary
packages of the official release distribution.

I have been running earlier releases of NetBSD on the same machine
using XF86 3.3.6. Now I ran into troubles with the configuration of
XFree86 4.2.0 which comes with 1.6. I'm using an ASUS V3000 video
board with AGP and a NVidia Riva 128 chipset. The ancient XF86_SVGA
server worked very well with that setup.

I configured XF86 with "xf86cfg" and it got the settings right as far
I can see (I placed the configuration file at
<URL:http://westworks.ch/~chris/XF86Config> and the log file at
<URL:http://westworks.ch/~chris/XFree86.0.log>).

The server won't start, though (it works if I change the driver to
vga, but this only provides a poor resolution an depth). I suspect
it's something to do with the remove MTRR messages, but I have no clue
about this. I find it quite astonishing that it simply crashes without
any further error messages.

I also was unable to find reports on how to solve similar problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris.
--