Subject: Re: echo-like replacement for telnetd
To: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2002 10:04:44
--- henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Now that I have ssh working, I thought I would just
> shut down port 23
> entirely.  There is one machine, however, that I
> used to run a public
> service on.  I'd like to continue to issue a message
> about the status
> of that service, which was available by telnet.
> Presently people
> login, get a message telling them what's going on,
> and then are kicked
> off.  Idealy, rather than offer a login at all, just
> a message would
> be transmitted to their telnet client.
>
> Is there any _secure_ tool available that would work
> like that?  TIA

I had a FreeBSD machine I had to do something similar
with, so I just tried compiling a C program that was a
bunch of printf's, changed the line in inetd to point
to this program instead of the real telnetd, and it
works fine. Prints out information, then exits.
Windows telnet clients don't display it right though,
it wraps. Real telnet clients work fine.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is secure?

Andy