Subject: Re: Cups and Samba
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2002 18:12:25
>Hi,
>
>Cups is running on my i386 -current box. It works fine, at least with
>Gimp, Mozilla and /usr/local/bin/lpr command.
>
>My printer is connected on my NetBSD box, so i'm using Samba to make
>my wife's Windows 98 printing on this printer, too. It used to work
>with stock lpd but, now, Windows is unable to print anything (the
>printer is still visible on the Windows network).
>
>My smb.conf follows what i've found on the Web concerning Samba and
>Cups:
>
>[global]
>        workgroup = WORKGROUP
>        encrypt passwords = yes
>        load printers = yes
>        printcap name = cups
>        printing = cups
>[printers]
>        printable = yes
>        public = yes
>        guest ok = yes
>        path = /var/spool/samba
>        print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -P %p -o raw %s
>        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
>        lprm command = cancel %p-%j

Why are you using lpr and lpd commands in the printer configuration?
AFAIK, these are inconsistant with CUPS. Your samba [printers]
configuration is still trying to use the linux print daemon.

Maybe completely undo everything you did, completely remove all the linux
printer stuff and CUPS stuff, and start again fresh from nothing, using
only what the CUPS docs tell you to use and install.

--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca