Subject: RE: Update 1.5.2 -> 1.6
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2002 10:22:59
On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:

> Oh, now something comes to my mind....
> When I boot the NetBSD floppys, there=B4s a point called "Update NetBSD..=
=2E" or similar.
> So, when I boot the 1.6 Floppys and do an update, is that all???

Nearly. :-)

The "Upgrade NetBSD" option moves your old "/etc" to "/etc.old", and
makes a new one. What I prefer to do, is discard the new "/etc", move
the old right back, then run "etcupdate". It does all this even if
you choose not to install the "etc.tgz" set, by the way.

Also, your root's "crontab" and ".cshrc" and ".login" files are
overwritten -- again, even if you choose not to install "etc.tgz".
[It's a known bug.] Having been through this a few times, I make
copies of those and put them right back, too.

Frederick