Subject: usb issues
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Herzog <mherzog@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2002 12:46:43
Hi all.

I'm running 1.6_RC3 netbsd and have built & installed X from source with
USE_XF86_4=yes in mk.conf. Starting with RC2, I have been seeing the usb
root device come to a halt:

Sep 12 12:05:53 pobble /netbsd: uhci0: host controller process error
Sep 12 12:05:53 pobble /netbsd: uhci0: host controller halted

The device is identified as:

uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller
(rev.  0 x02)
uhci0: interrupting at irq 10
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: VIA Technologie UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

I can't hotplug any usb device on this box.

The motherboard is an AT form factor FIC VA503+. I had to update its bios to
je4330 in order to get K6-III+ support. I don't think I saw this behavior
before I updated the BIOS but I'm not positive.

I like to run Galeon and other gnu pthreads-dependant apps and I am suspicious
that gnu pth might be doing nasty things to [usb0] or [usbtask].

I guess I could try running some other OS for a few hours to see if the
problem is strictly hardware-oriented but I wanted to see if anyone has
experienced anything similar of late.

Thanks.

--
Matthew Herzog