Subject: Re: motd
To: Nicolas Saurbier <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2002 06:11:50
"Nicolas Saurbier" <Nicolas.Saurbier@biodata.de>  wrote:
 > what=B4s the use of  "motd"??? For what do i need that????
 > =

 > P.S.: Please don=B4t just say : "man motd"

I don't really understand the quesiton.  the man page very clearly
tells you why you might need it.

     The file /etc/motd is normally displayed by login(1) after a user has
     logged in but before the shell is run.  It is generally used for impo=
r-
     tant system-wide announcements.  During system startup, a line contai=
ning
     the kernel version string is prepended to this file.

You might generally use it for important system-wide announcements. So
if you have something that you want to tell all users, then /etc/motd is
a good place to do it.  Examples:

"If you have data on /u1, then please clean up your files. We're running
 out of space."

or:

"The system will be unavailable from monday to thursday for a disk upgrade=
."